Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Soundtrack ...

Lately I've been listening to "The Natural" soundtrack on my ipod/phone while doing chores around the house.

I heartily encourage it.

There's nothing more to make you feel heroic when you're taking out the trash than the sound of a Randy Newman orchestration:

The arpegio of the strings swell; slowly crescendoing as I weave my way through the backyard, down the steps and into the alley.

As I open the lid of the trashcan, the woodwinds twitter in anticipation.

I grasp the top of the hefty bag with both hands and as I hoist it into the night air, the brass section kicks in:

Da da da daaaa!

The cymbals crash (crash!) as the trash lands in the can with a satisfying thud kicking up a slight odor of dirty diapers and old spaghetti sauce.

Da da da daaaaa! I flip the lid closed as the cymbals crash one more time. Crash!

There's the stillness of a short coda as the cymbal crash fades into the night.

I turn and walk back to the house, accompanied by the mournful wail of a single oboe as blackness falls on my backyard.


Hmmm - what goes better with loading the dishwasher? Punk or classis rock?

No comments: