Friday, August 22, 2008

Facebook is evil ...

I know, I'm too old to have a Facebook page.

But I do - deal with it. Anyway, the thing is more addictive than crack.

Not only do you get to satisfy your egotistical needs by posting stuff about yourself, you also get to get a voyeuristic glimpse into the life of your friends and family - and eventually their friends and families, ad nauseum.

I think that why it's so additive. Somebody asks to be your friend (or you ask to be their friend) - and then, wham ... you see who they are friends with and the geometric progression begins.

Crack kills. Facebook kills time.

Seriously. I'm pretty busy at work and have more than enough stuff to keep me hopping from 8 am to 6 pm, but yesterday I found myself playing scrabble with my brother (who lives in Pennsylvania), IM'ing my sister-in-law (who lives in Miami) and looking at another friend's (who lives across town) funny but disturbing photos.

I looked up from my computer screen and realized that my next patient was sitting in a paper gown in a cold room waiting for me for 20 minutes. I could hear C. Everret Koop and Richard Kildare (google them, young ones) spinning in their graves.

Much apologies to Dr. Koop and his family if he is not, as I assumed, deceased.

No comments: