Friday, May 1, 2009

Well, it was better than Titanic's maiden voyage...

Let's start out by stating that lake water in Minnesota on May 1st is ... chilly, to say the least.

I wasn't going to let that stop my maiden row in my new single. I had the day off and the planets were aligned just right, allowing me a few hours to get out on the water for the first time this year. (Plus, I had an "ok" from the missus.)

I had thought about this all winter. I had scoped out the lakes near my work and had chosen Lake Josephine for a few reasons - a sandy swimming area I could lauch from, it was 2 miles from my work, and my boss has a house right on the lake with a nice dock (for possible launching and storage of my boat!? - all I have to do is ask him). However, it's the wrong shape and locale for optimal rowing. It wasn't long and thin and protected like Lake Hosmer at Craftsbury, it was more round and open. But, hey, we can't all be lucky enough to live in "God's Country" in Vermont.

But I digress.

The air temperature this morning was in the low 50's at best. And it was windy:



Which sucked.

Because when I got to the Lake, it was choppy.



There were 6 to 12 inch waves lapping the shoreline and the chop looked treacherous especially to a newbie like me. Out for the first time of the year. In a 'tippy' boat (only 12 inches at its widest point). With water temperatures in the 40's. Nice conditions for hypothermia.

I was bummed. I had bought this boat half a year ago and trekked it halfway across the country, only to be stopped by some wind. And bone-chilling water.

Fuck.


I lumbered back to my car and called my wife to leave a message that I was just going to the YMCA to slog away on the erg instead and will be back around noon.

As I hung up my iphone, a thought hit me - this is Minnesota, for gosh sakes! There are 9,999 more lakes for me to try. (actually, 11,842 more lakes)

Also, my iphone has google maps and a GPS built in. So, thanks to Jobs and Woz, within minutes I was following the turn by turn directions to Owasso Lake less than a mile away.

I pulled up to the beach area which was in a nice little protected cove. The cove was only about 100m wide but 400m long. It's not a big space - it's not uncommon for one stroke to carry you 10m or more, so I'd only get 20 strokes or so and then I'd have to turn around. But I didn't care. Most importantly, the water was calmer:




Jackpot! The wait was over.

Unfortunately, I was flying solo, so I wasn't able to take any pictures of me rowing. But I did get to row.

And it was fun.

It was a little touchy at first. I haven't rowed on the water in 6 months and haven't been in a single for close to 8 months. So after I almost flipped just getting into the the boat, I was able to take a few tentative strokes and it all came back to me. So far, so good.

So I got cocky and took a couple of good pulls on the oars and ... I almost ended up in the drink.

Humbled again by this sport, I went back to the basics and did some drills and I felt much more stable.

Finally, after about 30 minutes I was able to put together 10 or so good strokes and the boat set up, took up some speed and for a brief few seconds carved a nice straight line over Lake Owasso.

Awesome.

It was better than the feeling of driving a golf ball to within inches of the cup, or hitting a baseball over the center fielder's head or smashing a racquetball into the back of your opponent (I never said I was an good at these sports!).


I'm not ready for Ole Muddy just yet, but give me a few months. I could imagine myself rounding Pike Island and gliding back downstream.

Then I almost ran into a bouy ...

1 comment:

akalinear said...

nice. very nice. =)