Monday, October 13, 2008

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down ...

... and today is both.

There is an actual condition called SAD - seasonal affective disorder. I know, somebody has a sick sense of humor.

As the sunlight wanes in the fall, our vitamin D levels fall, our neurochemicals get a little jumbled, our circadian rhythms get off track - this all results in feeling a little "blue" (very impressive medical term).

Some scientists claim it's a residual from our caveman ancestors. Despite feeling some depression, there is also a mild decrease in hormone levels and adrenal levels - making our bodies work a little more slowly, thus needing less food and energy to make it through the cold, dark winter.

I feel it big time. I don't get clinically depressed, but I feel it's harder to get up in the am when the alarm clock goes off; it's harder to stay exercising (I usually get an increased urge in January as the days start to get longer); it's harder staying focused at work, etc.

I have a 250 watt Metal Halide bulb in the basement under which I put my tropical bonsai's in the winter. I'm drawn to it like a moth in the dark days of November and December - I'll spend more time watering and pruning etc. Which is impressive because the rest of the basement is dank and dreary and smells like cat piss and hairballs.

The only ways to combat this are meds (I don't need any more, thank you), light therapy (seriously considering) or good ole forcing-yourself-to-do-more-outside and get your sun fix as much as possible.

I could also move someplace tropical where the sun's rays don't have much seaonal change, but I don't think I could handle the heat. I would miss the early fall and late spring days that getmy body humming. And I hate to admit it, but spending some time skiing and sledding is good for my soul too.

Only about 2 months until the waning sunlight days become waxing again, so I'll do what I always do - bitch about the weather, bitch about Minnesota, curl up on couh or in the bed with my family and wait until spring.

Or look for me in the basement, under the plant grow light. Peace

No comments: